In May of 1992, I had a high-tibial osteoomy surgery on my right knee at Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem, NC. Two days after the procedure, Sue visited me and left when I felt sleepy. About an hour after she had returned to her hotel to get some sun at the pool, she was called by the hospital and told that it was very important that she return because there had been a change in my condition. When she arrived, she was not told what had happened to me, but that the doctors were working on it.
From my perspective, I remember seeing myself from a position up in the corner of the room looking down at my body surrounded by four medical personnel. One said "He is flat-out." Another said "We have to give this a try." They had two large paddles connected by wires to a machine that they were putting to my chest. They did this several times.
At the same time I remember going very speedily down a funnel like tunnel and found myself greeted by two men who were of such bright light that I could not look directly at them. The background was of a beautiful pasture with a bright blue sky. A road ran toward some bright large structure that sat on a hill. They told me that I was going to meet the master. I asked if I could smoke, as I had recently withdrawn from smoking. One laughed and said sure, that it would not hurt me as I was not of the my former body. In the distance I could see some men gathered at the building, but the whole scene was so gloriously rich and bright, that I could not make out the details. There was a path with men lined up on each side and a throne atop a pedestal. I could only look at the bottom feet, but noticed that they were pierced. The brightness kept me from looking up to the full figure on the throne.
A person that I recognized but could not place, because he appeared young and well proportioned and nicely dressed, but spoke with a familiar but unrecognizable voice said that I could not remain here because I had more work to do and that I was needed by my wife approached and said that I must go back to the hospital. I told them that this was my home and that I had missed being here.
Suddenly, I awoke with a jolt and said "This is not real. This is not real." to the nurses. They told me repeatedly that it was real and told me to breathe deeply. I told them that I was just in the real world and that this was a dream. They told me that it was not a dream and that it was good that I was awake. I said "No, no, let me go back." They told me that I had been dreaming. Slowly I realized that I had just had surgery and that Sue had been with me shortly before. I was confused and angered with the treatment that I was receiving. I spend the next 4 or 5 days in intensive care being assured that I was still not ready to leave the hospital and that I had to "come to my senses." I continued to argue with the nursing staff and repeatedly told them that I was being held against my will. Much of the memory is clouded with parts being starkly clear and other parts comfortably being held in a state of peace and complete rest.
This is a somewhat abbreviated version of my memory for this event.
I do have a full body memory of glorious praise music. It was heard by my entire body. It was complex, but composed of simple psalms and songs - much he described. It was possible to "tune" it to a desired level of sound and focus on what was familiar to me. The sounds of the heavenly hosts are another experience entirely - other circumstances.. During my brief visit I was deluged by the bright light on everything, and an overwhelming sense of peace in my soul. I wanted to stand and remain there to soak in the experience.
Fast forward to my being born again, healed from total disability, called to Bible College, restored to employment, living every day in praise of Jesus and testifying at every opportunity, I know that I can never waiver in my commitment to serving Jesus Christ. This world is still not as real as my truly awesome 20 minutes in that place where I still yearn to return. But, there still is much work planned ahead for me to do.
jje
Email: drjeff777@gmail.com










No comments:
Post a Comment